All heating and cooling systems should be serviced every year by a heating and cooling professional.
For furnaces, your service technician should:
- Check for leaks, soot, rust, corroded electrical contacts and frayed wires.
- Perform any necessary cleaning, including the burner and heat exchanger.
- Inspect the venting system and verify that it is operating properly.
For heat pumps and air conditioners, your technician should:
- Inspect all electrical connections.
- Check the operation of the compressor and outdoor fan motor.
- Inspect the indoor evaporator coil for cleanliness and clean if necessary.
- Inspect the furnace or air handler blower assembly for proper operation and cleanliness.
Check the refrigerant level in the system.
If the air conditioning or heat pump refrigerant level is low, a proper leak check should be performed, and the leak should be repaired or the leaking component should be replaced.